+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Cleats for Ultimate

Best Cleats for Ultimate

I've always stuck with Puma, mostly the v3.08s, but what has everyone else found useful as far as soccer cleats? Football cleats? what cleats are not good or what is wrong with them? and finally, has anyone tried Ultimate specific cleats?

pretty old and worn out topic, but always good to get a newer, different perspective

i've loved the pumas i get, but they can get really tight around the toes and i have gotten a few blisters on my little toes. they usually last me an entire season, or a solid semester for college ultimate and usually start busting on the outer part of my foot

i have used football cleats for the past 2 years, with soccer(copa's) as my backup cleats, i felt like the difference between the nike vapor jet 4.2's(football cleats) and the Copa's was huge. i'll definitely never buy another pair of soccer cleats again(aside from turfs).

I have nike super speed td's (football cleats) which unfortunately they don't make any more but they are amazing, better than any soccer cleat I ever had. I think they are more supporting and also grip better when cutting because they are deisgned more for that type of movement. I'll have to hunt around again when these go out but I'm guessing vapor jets will be my replacement.

I use to play with Nike T90 soccer cleats that I really liked. Only downside is that at the end of the season after I used them for about 5 months, when I was cutting, my foot just bust a hole through one of the seams. I've heard good things about the Mercurial line. And right now I mainly play with Nike Vapor Strike football cleats, which are pretty good. Dunno if this helped, good luck with the search!

USAU Board Member
    I have had a very similar experience with the Puma line of cleats (Cellerator, Shudoh, Hyodoh, V3.06, v5.08, v1.08). They fit my feet really well and are comfortable, fairly light, and I like the cleat pattern a lot. Sometimes they can be a little slick in long or wet grass. And mine also tend to bust out on the outside of the seam near the ball of my foot or slightly towards the toe. In the past, Puma was quite good about replacing cleats that busted out after little use. They're being a little more difficult now.

Once I wear through my current 2-3 pairs of V1.08's, I'll probably try out the Nike Vapor Jets. I've heard good things from a cutting and a throwing perspective (toe cleat helps).

How does everyone feel on football cleats specifically? I know they come in different forms, but they always seem to be more bulky and cause more injuries to other players. Or discs. I had a disc punctured clean through from someone with football cleats. I'm not against them, as I plan on buying a pair for this fall to see if I like football or soccer cleats more before the college season. But what are some of the things you noticed if you have owned and played in both types? I think that would be more helpful basic advice rather than just saying a brand or model that worked well for you. People have different playing styles and specializations and I think it would be good to list the pros and cons of soccer or football cleats to get a better idea of what they need. Thoughts?

Ken Kaminski
    Kettnetic Thunder
    Last edited by kenkam3; 08-23-2010 at 02:11 PM.

I would say the bulky and heavy perception of football cleats is just left over from the old days, the new receiver/rb cleats out there from Nike and some of the big brands are extremely light, fit the foot well, etc. The new Adidas cleats only weigh 8.6oz or something like that which is less than most soccer cleats. Sure there are some styles that are heavier and bulkier but those aren't the ones you should be buying if you want to play ultimate in them. I normally handle but cut as needed and I have had football cleats for about a yr and I will never go back to soccer cleats. Soccer cleats plain and simple aren't designed for the hard changes of direction you get cutting even something like a dump cut and football cleats are, wr/rb's do nothing but cut and change direction. Watch a video from a couple years ago on Ultivillage and watch one from this year and look at peoples feet, football cleats have gone from almost no one wearing them to I would say probably 40-50% of people at mid and upper levels.

Perfect! That's the type of thing I want to hear. It really does come down to the design of the shoe, and the way the spikes are laid out. I'm looking forward to experimenting with football cleats this fall, and you're right, they make a lot less bulky ones than the ones I see some amateurs wearing. Any recommendations on a light football cleat? I'll be doing my own research as well though. I’m not a new player but have been delaying looking into football cleats for 5 years haha. Soccer always seemed like the only light-weight option like I liked them.
    Last edited by kenkam3; 08-26-2010 at 11:21 AM.

As my first post says since the super speeds arent made anymore it seems like the vapor jets and other vapor series are where everyone is going, the ultra light adidas are called scorch but haven't seen or tried them. Reebok makes the Pro and Burner Speed III's but again never seen or tried them, once I broke my nike's in the fit is so great I don't think I'd look anywhere else. Seen the Under Armour ones around and a guy I play club with likes them.

+ Reply to Thread